Monday, May 14, 2012

Baked French Toast! (aka Bread & Butter Pudding)


Growing up I hands-down hated bread and butter pudding. It was boring & bland & covered in sultanas (which I am most definitely NOT a fan of). Whenever it was on the menu, I was suddenly full after dinner and couldn't fit in another spoon full.

It wasn't until a couple years ago, when I saw the Pioneer Woman's recipe that I thought it was worth giving it a try. Her recipe (thank god) did not contain sultanas. When I tried it I was bowled over, it takes just like french toast! Here is my adapted version of the recipe -

Ingredients:

2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 to 5 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup nuts, chopped finely - pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds are my favourite
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
Maple syrup & thickened cream to serve

Method:

1. Preheat your oven to 160C. Lightly grease a large pie baking dish or a 9 inch regular baking dish.

2. Beat together eggs, butter, vanilla, milk & sugar. Mix until all the sugar has dissolved.

3. Arrange your bread cubes tightly in the baking dish, keeping the crusts facing upwards around the rim. Pour the wet ingredients over the bread. Top with nuts & sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top. Bake in the oven for 55 - 70 minutes or until crust is golden on top. You'll notice the bread puffs up whilst cooking.

4. Drizzle the pudding with maple syrup, serve with thickened cream.


Sunny xx

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com