Saturday, March 3, 2012

Nigella's Mustard Pork Chops


I saw this recipe on a recent episode of Nigella & thought to myself "I love pork chops, I love mustard sauces & I'm pretty damn crazy about gnocchi - I'LL DO IT!"... because talking to yourself late at night whilst watching the food channel is completely normal & acceptable... right?

One thing that definitely sold it to me was how ridiculously quick & easy it looked - and after making it I realised it was both those things AND super flavourful. Basically an all around win!

I made this after work one day for me & my beau and we both loved it. It makes enough for 2 so if there is just the one of you, make the same amount & take the left-overs to work for lunch the next day (or just halve it!). This is my adapted recipe but you can Click here for Nigella's original recipe.

Ingredients:
2 pork chops (in Australia we have 'pork loin chops' which are cheap & work great here)
200 - 300 ml Apple cider (if you cant find any cider, use sparkling apple juice)
1-2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard - adjust to your tastes
500g Gnocchi
1 tablespoon olive oil
a dash of cream (about 80ml)
Optional - a dash of booze (wine, port or whatever is going)

1. Set a pot of water to boil. In a large fry pan, add oil and cook pork chops for 5 minutes each side - cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your chops. Basically, cook 2 chops to your liking. Place chops on a plate & put aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.

2. Throw your gnocchi in the boiling water. The gnocchi will float when ready. Drain.

3. Pour cider into the pan you cooked your chops in and swirl around to grab all that delicious porky flavour left by the chops. Add mustard and let it cook down for a minute. If you are adding any booze (I used port) pour in a dash now. Once sauce is at the consistency you want, add the cream & stir through.

4. Plate up the chops & spoon some of the mustard sauce on top. Take the drained gnocchi and throw it into the remaining sauce left in the pork pan. Give it a minute & the gnocchi will soak up all that mustardy wonderfulness & become super delicious. Plate up alongside the chops & devour.

Enjoy this great midweek meal any time, but it is especially good in winter when you can cuddle into the couch at the same time!

Sunny xx

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com